Blocked drains are nightmare for every homeowner because it is impossible to stay with unpleasant odour coming out from blocked drains and you cannot even use your sink and toilet in such situations. You can hire a professional cleaning specialist to deal with your blocked drains because you cannot reach complicated clogged areas available at the underground level. For example, your sewage lines can get affected by tree roots penetration and you need to excavate your outdoor area to repair the same. Now, you can save your cost and avoid such complicated process by hiring professional plumbing service to reline your drains with PVC materials.
However, for small clogs, you can use some DIY tricks to clean your blocked drains.
Here, you can find some easy steps to clean and maintain your drains:
- Take a wire hanger and straighten the hanger, and then make a small hook by bending one end of the hanger. Now you can use it to pull out the clogs from your drains. Simply insert this hanger into your drains and try to pull out the deposited garbage from your drains, do not push it toward the drains because it can damage the pipeline. You can pull out the nasty gunk from your drains and then you can clean your drains with plenty of water.
- Overflowing sink is a recurrent problem that you can face in your home, and you need to clean your drains every week to prevent this issue. In this case, you can use vinegar and baking soda mixed with hot water to clean your drains. You can remove the hair, grease, and oil from your drains by using this solution and you can pour this solution in your drain and leave it overnight. Then you can flush your drain with hot water in the next day morning. It will clean your blocked drains completely.
- You can also use a wet and dry vacuum to clean your blocked drains. You can use a plunger to pull out the garbage from your drains and then use your vacuum at the highest speed to suck the solid substances and store them in your vacuum bag.
- Sometimes, small particles like leftover food and oil can block your drain and you can simply use hot water to clean your drains. But you should use hot water to clean your PVC pipes because they can get affected as PVC pipes are not heat resistant. In this case, you can use warm water instead of hot water to clean your blocked drains.
- You can find some drain cleaning solutions in your nearest hardware store, and you can use them to clean your drains. For example, you can use sodium hydroxide to clean your drains. You must wear gloves and eye protection while you use this caustic soda to clean your blocked drains because you can get affected by chemical burns. Apart from that, using such caustic soda directly on your pipes can damage your plumbing system and you should mix caustic soda with cold water to clean your drains.
- Apart from that, you can use a drain snake to clean your blocked drains. These tools are available online and you can also find such drain cleaning tools and solutions in your nearby hardware stores. You can use them to clean your drains.
You can follow the above DIY tips to clean your drains, but you cannot get a permanent relief from your blocked drains by using your DIY tools. It is suggested to hire a trained plumbing service to inspect your drains and take their help to clean your blocked drains completely.